Is Kobe a sellout?

10/4/2011 7:28:57 PM
theguru
10/4/2011 7:28:57 PM Report Abuse

Can you imagine if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning was on the verge of signing a contract to play football overseas as the rest of the Union/players were fighting for the league.

Seems like Kobe is so self absorbed, and he doesn't even realize it. Some of his demands for the Italy deal are:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7053449/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-virtus-bologna-working-intensely-deal

The deal, however, hinges on other clubs changing their schedules to ensure Bologna has five home games during Bryant's 10-game contract. Bologna also wants its opening five away games played in Italy's biggest arenas, and wants to avoid an early-season bye.

Smaller clubs Cremona and Varese have been reluctant to alter their schedules, although the Italian league said Saturday it was intervening to help spur an agreement.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
person101
10/4/2011 7:44:37 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

idk why people use the term sellout for everything these days. Kobe just wants to play basketball and i think its great that since american sports are all about money so that their leagues shut down that he should take advantage of going overseas to awesome countries. The spanish soccer league had a strike because literally the only players who get payed are from 3 or 4 teams. American sports should stop being so greedy. I only agree with you that kobe demands too much and he is as well greedy in this sense but not a sellout.

WLS
10/4/2011 7:46:28 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

Kobe has always been a sellout. Tell everything to his wife,  who tells everyone's business.  He also puts players business out there, so players stay clear.  What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, he has not got that concept yet.

Mdlax
10/4/2011 8:04:43 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

The man just wants to play, get off his back.  I guess D-wade is a sellout also, because I know for fact that he was considering doing the same thing, at least that is what he said during an ESPN interview. 

KingFelix34
10/5/2011 12:54:13 AM Report Abuse
@Mdlax

The way I see it, players actually going overseas helps the players' cause because it mitigates the leverage that the owners have over the players because they can still earn a paycheck overseas.  While Kobe won't be getting paid like he does in the NBA, he's playing ball and getting a paycheck, much to the chagrin of the owners and maybe other players.  Besides, what value does Kobe Bryant have in labor negotiations?  Is he the end-all, be-all player negotiator?  Why should he give a shit what everyone else is doing?  He's out there doing what he loves to do and getting paid for it.  I see no problem with that.

Mamba
10/5/2011 1:43:45 PM Report Abuse
@KingFelix34

Athletic talent loses value by the day. These guys better get the highest value and most money while they have it. The Players Union job is to get the deal done. Kobe's job is NOT sitting at home and watching the Union get the deal done. How many guys do you need a room anyway? Go play ball somewhere and collect a paycheck!

KROB36
10/5/2011 1:45:29 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

yeah i'm sorry, are you going to call every other player considering doing the same thing a sell out? there are players who already signed deals overseas..kobe hasn't

img
10/5/2011 4:21:30 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

First off Tom Brady and Manning signing over sees will NEVER be a thought. Football and Basketball on an international level are completely different

Kobe is anything but a sellout. He has an opportunity to make more money. Point blank. Can't get mad at a person who wants to continue to make money. So what if you think "he has plenty, and could survive the lockout" Remember the rich get richer and in these times I don't blame him for wanting to make even more money and leaving the lockout alone. He has EVERY right to do it. 

Call me a sellout if i was rich and wanted more money. If you not making money your wasting time. Thats the world I live in. (note: thats the world I, maybe not you but the world I, live in.) 

saintsballa4lyfe
10/5/2011 5:48:00 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

Kobe is also gathering the top players in the league to donate parts of the salary to lesser paid players.

dm86
10/5/2011 6:56:45 PM Report Abuse
@saintsballa4lyfe

Not even!  He going to Europe to make some cash until the NBA gets their heads out of their butts.

I would not be suprised if more NBA players go to Europe as the value of the US dollar drops relative to the rest of the world.

Mdlax
10/6/2011 7:05:33 AM Report Abuse
@theguru

Just a bit of info for everyone, Tony Parker is also playing over sea's and has signed a deal making a whole $2,000 dollars a month.  So it seems maybe, just maybe these guys are going over thier to play ball, and keep thier skill level at a profesional one.  I really dont think any of these guys are sell outs for wanting to do thier jobs.  

Mamba
10/6/2011 6:53:24 PM Report Abuse
@theguru

I wish every NBA could get a spot playing somewhere else while this thing goes on. That would change the whole dynamics of the lcokout because the owners would be the sole party bearing the economic loss of cancelling games. Then they would stop the garbage about losing money and get real. 

New Comment

You must login to report abuse. Close